Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mendl's Courtesan au Chocolat from The Grand Budapest Hotel

Have you seen the new movie The Grand Budapest Hotel?  I haven't yet but it looks pretty good and after this weekend, I think I must!


Apparently it features a French pastry known as Courtesan au Chocolat and my friend, Allyson, threw out a challenge on Facebook last Friday to anyone willing to try to recreate it.



Oh, and with the caveat that we not take advantage of modern technology, i.e., we had to mix the choux by hand. Grrr.

Girl, it's on!




Everyone who's a regular around here knows that while I can make things taste good, my decorative skills suck.  Piping bags and I don't relate.



So I was slightly discouraged by the looks of these before they went into the oven....



....they didn't look all that bad once baked!



The examples in the video were iced with a nice subtle and pale lavender, pink and mint colors.  I guess I was a little overzealous with the food coloring because mine were NOT SUBTLE.  OR PALE.


Filling them with the pastry cream was a cinch.  


See what I mean about the color!!


In the end, I'd call these a 90% success.  They tasted amazing but c'mon, they're cream puffs so what's not to like.  Mr. B ate almost all of them.  And yeah, didn't gain an ounce.  Hate him.

You can get the recipe and step-by-step instructions here and notes and lessons learned from me here.

Thanks for the challenge, Allyson.  It was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment